ENROLLED AGENT (EA) ANNUAL ENROLLMENT RENEWAL APPLICATION PERIOD BEGINS NOVEMBER 1
The 2024 Enrollment Renewal Application Period is open from November 1, 2023 through January 31, 2024. Per U.S. Treasury Department Circular No. 230 (Rev. 6-2014), EAs are required to renew their EA status during this time frame if your SSN ends in 7, 8, 9, or no SSN.
Without renewal those with a social security number that ends in 7, 8, 9 or have no social security number their current enrollment will expire on March 31, 2024.
Submit the enrollment renewal application and payment directly online through Pay.gov.
To renew you must:
- Have an active preparer tax identification number (PTIN).
- Complete a minimum of 16 hours CE each year of your enrollment cycle for a total 72 hours. In addition, 2 hours of ethics, or professional conduct must be completed during each enrollment year. EXCEPTION: If this is your first renewal, you must complete 2 hours of CE for each month of your enrollment, including 2 hours of ethics, or professional conduct each year.
- Pay the $140 non-refundable renewal fee. This fee applies regardless of your enrollment status.
Use these tips to ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible:
- Do not submit your application prior to November 1, 2023.
- Fill in the CE table in Part 1 completely.
- Sign, and date your form in Part 3.
Please allow 90 days for processing before calling 855-472-5540 to check on the status of your application.
Possible Impact to Special Enrollment Exam Appointments
Some upcoming Special Enrollment Exam (SEE) appointments may be impacted due to staff vacancies at certain test center locations. Prometric, who administers the SEE exam, has been impacted by personnel deficiencies. As a result, some SEE candidates' appointments may be rescheduled on short notice to an alternate test center location, date, and time. If a candidate's appointment is affected, they will be notified via email with new appointment details and instructions.