Skip to main content

Updated EIP FAQS Include Added Information on Prepaid Debit Cards

Updated EIP FAQS Include Added Information on Prepaid Debit Cards

IRS has continued to update the frequently asked questions (FAQs) on its Economic Impact Payment (EIP) Information Center website. These are the updates as of June 11, 2020.

IRS has provided new information in the following new or updated FAQs:

Q20. Who should NOT use Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here? (updated June 10, 2020)

A20. You should not use the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool if any of the following apply:

  • You already filed a 2019 tax return.
  • You are required to file a 2019 tax return.
  • You already received your Economic Impact Payment based on your 2018 or 2019 return, even if you think you did not receive the full amount (for example, because you have a newly born child in 2020 who was not reported on your 2019 return).
  • You are not required to file a return and already received your Payment based on your 2019 Social Security retirement, survivor or disability benefits (SSDI), Railroad Retirement benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Veterans Affairs benefits even if you think you did not receive the full amount. Someone claimed you as a dependent on their 2019 tax return.
  • You were not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident (green card holder) in 2019. Those who were resident aliens in 2019 because they satisfied the "substantial presence test” and qualify for the Payment must file a tax return to receive the Payment.
  • You do not have a Social Security Number valid for employment.

Note from the Editor: there have been anecdotal stories of taxpayers using the non-filers tool when they actually had a requirement to file a tax return. When using this tool, they are in essence filing a zero return. Therefore, an amended return must be filed. Starting in August (?) the IRS has announced they will start accepting the 2019 amended returns electronically.

Q42. My address is different from the last tax return I filed. How can I change my address? (updated June 9, 2020)

A42. If you need to change your address, see IRS's Address Changes website,

If IRS receives your payment back because the Post Office was unable to deliver it, we will update your payment status to "Need More Information," on the Get My Payment application at which point you will be able to enter your bank account information.

If you do not provide your bank account information, IRS will hold your Economic Impact Payment until we receive your updated address.

Q49. Can I transfer money from my debit card to my bank account? (added June 5, 2020)

A49. Yes. The limit on ACH transfers to a bank account is $2,500 per transaction. This is an increase from the previously announced amount of $1,000 per transfer. You can easily transfer the money from your Card to an existing bank account online at or using the Money Network Mobile App. You will need the Routing and Account number for your bank account. To transfer funds:

  1. Call 800-240-8100 (TTY: 800-241-9100) to activate your Card.
  2. Register for online or mobile app access by going to or the Money Network Mobile App and click on "Register". Follow the steps to create your User ID and Password. Be sure to have your EIP Card handy.
  3. Select Move Money Out and follow the steps to set up your ACH transfer. Transfers should post to your bank account in 1-2 business days.

Q51. What do I do if my prepaid debit card was lost or destroyed? (added June 4, 2020)

A51. Individuals who have lost or destroyed their EIP Card may request a free replacement through MetaBank Customer Service. The standard fee of $7.50 will be waived for the first reissuance of any EIP Card. Any initial reissuance fee charged to a customer from an earlier date will be reversed. Individuals do not need to know their card number to request a replacement. Individuals may request a replacement by phone at 800-240-8100 (option 2 from main menu).

The Economic Impact Payment Card is sponsored by the Treasury Department’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service, managed by Money Network Financial, LLC and issued by Treasury’s financial agent, MetaBank, N.A. If you receive an Economic Impact Payment Card, it will arrive in a plain envelope from "Money Network Cardholder Services." The Visa name will appear on the front of the Card; the back of the Card has the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank, N.A. Information included with the Card will explain that the card is your Economic Impact Payment Card. Please go to for more information and additional FAQs.

Q52. I received the prepaid debit EIP Card as my Payment, but my name is incorrect. What should I do? (added June 9, 2020)

A52. If the issue is with the last name on the card (i.e., issued in a previous name such as a maiden or married name), the payee with the first name on the first line can still activate the card and/or validate identity to continue activation. For other name related issues or questions (i.e., incorrect spelling), contact MetaBank, N.A at 800-240-8100, or visit

Q53. I received my Payment by check, but it was lost, stolen or destroyed. How do I get a new one? (added June 9, 2020)

A53. If you received your Payment by check and it was either lost, stolen, or destroyed, you should initiate a trace on your Payment by calling IRS at 800-919-9835 or you may submit Form 3911 (Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund). If you call, please be advised that you may experience long wait times or recorded assistance due to limited staffing. If you submit the form and you are Married Filing Joint, both spouses must sign the form.

Your claim for a missing Payment is processed in one of two ways:

  • If the check was not cashed, you'll receive a replacement check once the original check is canceled.

If you find the original check and receive a replacement, you MUST return the original as soon as possible.

  • If the refund check was cashed, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. Follow the instructions for completing the claim package. BFS will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether they can issue you a replacement check.

Do not request a Payment trace if you are trying to determine eligibility for the Payment or the amount of Payment you should have received.

Q54. I received Notice 1444 in the mail saying my Payment was issued, but I have not received my Payment. What should I do? (added June 9, 2020)

A54. If you received Notice 1444 in the mail and have not received your Payment as mentioned in the notice, see

Do not request a Payment trace if you are trying to determine eligibility for the Payment or the amount of Payment you should have received. You must have been issued Notice 1444 or received a payment date from Get My Payment to perform a trace.

Q62. How will IRS send my Economic Impact Payment if I have a representative payee or I am a representative payee? (added June 10, 2020)

A62. If you filed a 2019 or 2018 tax return: Your Payment was or will be sent to the bank account provided on your tax return for a direct deposit of your tax refund, or mailed to the address we have on file if a tax refund was mailed or there was no refund on your tax return. If you did not file a 2019 or 2018 tax return:

  • An Individual Representative Payee should be receiving EIPs to the same direct deposit account or Direct Express card as the recipient’s monthly benefit payment. The mailing of these Payments to payees is underway.
  • For an Organizational Representative Payee, the schedule above is the same, except that the payee may receive the EIP electronically or by mail.

Q64. How do I return an Economic Impact Payment (EIP) that was received as an EIP Card (debit card) if I do not want the payment re-issued? (added June 9, 2020)

A64. If you received your EIP as a debit card and want to return the money to IRS and NOT have the payment re-issued, send the card along with a brief explanation stating you don’t want the payment and do not want the payment re-issued: Money Network Cardholder Services 5565 Glenridge Connector NE Mail Stop GH-52 Atlanta, GA 30342.